Return to Everest 2009
May 2, 2009 - IMG team members John, Jon, and Matt descended to BC today. Greg, Dave A, and Philippe moved to C2, as did Justin and Dave R. We had a bit of a scare this morning when a big avalanche from the lower West Shoulder crashed into the lower Icefall, and dusted a number of climbers. Fortunately nobody was hurt. We even got a bit of ice dust at BC. [More at IMG]
May 1, 2009 - Despite the marginal forcast, it was nice day today on Everest. Ed and Ang Pasang were out in the predawn hours filming the Himex team with infrared cameras as the climbers started up the Icefall. The live footage was sent back by microwave to BC where it was recorded to tape. This was a test of the system that will be used on the summit bids to follow the climbers up high. [More at IMG]
Keith Cowing: On Saturday afternoon, Scott and I were standing in the middle of IMG's Everest Base Camp taking pictures when a loud noise came from the Khumbu Icefall. It was an avalanche. There are dozens of avalanches every day here - and you get used to them after a while.
Day 44/May 4, 2009 (Monday)
Surgical removal of laptop from Keithâ€™s hands, taking a hike!
Itâ€™s another beautiful day here in the Himalayas, so following our morning videoconference with Miles, I was finally able to tug Keith from the comm. tent for a great hike down valley to the base of Pumor Ri. It is possible that Keith will spend a portion of the summit push up a bit higher: Pumor Riâ€™s Camp I has direct line of sight to most of the climbing route on summit day, and will serve as a microwave receiving station for special helmet-mounted cameras some of the Sherpas will be wearing. Keith kept up a great pace, but I could tell he was undergoing laptop withdrawal as we reapproached base camp!
Day 43/May 3, 2009 (Sunday)
Stretching the Legs, Stretching the Schedule
Ambition in a mountaineer is an absolute essential --- patience may be an even more valuable asset. We have weather reports sent to us here every day, allowing us to track the trends in winds aloft --- perhaps the most important criteria in deciding whether to aim for the summit --- temperatures, cloud coverage and regional weather.
Days 41 & 42/May 1 & 2, 2009 (Friday & Saturday)
Home Sweet EBC
Arising to a warm, sunny Friday here on the glacier, Rejean and I studied the summit forecasts for the coming days. Sherpa teams are making great strides towards establishing Camp IV, and will soon be on their way towards the Balcony. With reasonable weather and such great progress, coupled with some recent horror stories of food-related illness in the kitchens below, Rejean and I elected to stay at EBC until our summit push.